BEFORE AND AFTER PREVIEW
I have a client couple in Windham County (often referred to "The Quiet Corner" in Connettykit) with a fine 1832 (or 1836, I don't remember) home containing some rather gnarly windows. The glass in the original upper six lite sashes is original and highly convoluted, and single lite the lower sashes are obvious replacements, probably added in the 1940s or 50s. My guess is that half the original sashes (would have been six lites like the top sashes, no one used single lites in those days) rotted and they moved the good ones to the tops before replacing the bottoms. I know this because after pulling the first two sashes I noticed that one of the uppers has a bevel on its bottom rail (now turned upside down to be the top rail), indicating that it was a bottom sash at one time.
I'll be featuring a big post soon on the restoration of one of the upper sashes done step by step so you straights will know just how much work goes into this process. Like the Colonial job below doesn't show that; but I didn't get into a few techniques I often use in that post and will in the next.
In the meantime, here's a comparison of old to new. The newly restored sashes shine so well because I convinced the clients to pull their storm sashes, clean the tracks of dead bugs and cocoons, clean the glass, dry lube the tracks, and replace the sashes. That makes it look like there is no glass in it at all. Sanding, painting and reglazing the putty helps a little, too.
Windows are mechanical devices, people, and must be maintained to work well. It's hard to believe how much more efficient your storms can be if you restore them by merely cleaning them.
I also do this if you pay me.